Pages

Want an honest opinion about Pinterest recipes you have come to the right place. I will give you my honest opinion about recipes from Pinterest about Low Carb/High Fat recipes plus regular ones too

06 April 2015

Jicama

I try jicama yesterday for the first time. I had read on the net that some of the low carbers use jicama in place of potatoes. So I wanted to see if they could replace potatoes cause I do know mashed cauliflower was gorgeous, I didn't like it at all.  So I try it using this recipe

ONION GRUYERE POTATO STACKS




I used one jicama in place of the potato in one of the tins, I also used the larger muffin tin to make them. I know jicama takes longer to cook than potatoes.  but it was really good. I enjoyed it. Also what I did different was since I was cooking the potatoes along with my ham I didn't cook my onions ahead of time. I chopped them fine, added in dry thyme, salt and pepper and the butter in a small dish. Then put a teaspoon in each layer when I was making them.  5 Stars

Ingredients

  • 5 baking potatoes
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 6 TBS butter
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheese, Gruyere or cheddar  I used Smoked Gouda with Bacon
  •        Gruyere is quite expensive here. 
  • kosher salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • heavy cream or half and half
  • cooking spray
  • thyme sprigs

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Thinly slice raw potatoes. I use a Mandoline but they can be carefully hand sliced into thin even slices. Set aside.
  3. Melt butter (about 4 TBS) in a large skillet and saute onion over a low heat until translucent and slightly golden. Add 2-4 TBS butter in the pan and melt the butter. Set aside.
  4. Grate cheese. Gruyere is my favorite but cheddar works great too! Set aside.
  5. Spray all twelve muffin cups of a regular size muffin pan.
  6. Add 1 slice of potato to the bottom of each muffin cup. Salt and pepper. Add 1 more slice of potato. Top each potato evenly with 1/2 TBS onion and butter. Add 2 more potato slices. Sprinkle 1/2 TBS grated cheese evenly over potatoes. Add 1 more potato slice and salt and pepper. Add 1 more potato slice and evenly add 1/2TBS of onion and butter. Add 1 or 2 potato slices and top evenly with remaining cheese.
  7. Pour 1 TBS cream over each potato stack. Do this for each stack.
  8. Bake for 35 minutes until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
  9. Run a sharp knife around the edges of each muffin cup and pop each stack out with a fork.
  10. Garnish with thyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment